Good Nutrition is Important!
Good nutrition is important so that our bodies get the nutrients it needs to function and grow. These nutrients include carbohydrates, fats, proteins vitamins, minerals, and water. As we get older our nutritional needs changes, especially for those living with chronic health conditions like heart disease and diabetes.
Here are 4 Ways to Eat Well for Aging Adults
1. Follow the healthy plate method
2. Read the labels! When shopping, read labels and purchase foods that are lower in fat, added sugars, and sodium.
3. Use recommended servings. As per the National Institute on Aging. Those age 50 and older should follow the U.S. Style Pattern:
- Vegetables — 2 to 3 cups
- Fruits — 1½ to 2 cups
- Grains — 5 to 8 ounces
- Dairy — 3 cups (fat-free or low-fat)
- Protein foods — 5 to 6½ ounces
- Oils — 5 to 7 teaspoons
4. Stay Hydrated! It is important for us to stay hydrated throughout the day and make sure we are drinking enough water.
Live a healthier YOU!
Since March is National Nutrition Month, we hope these useful tips will help you and our seniors take the right direction into living a healthier you. Learn to develop healthy eating and physical activity habits for you and our seniors. We hope you stay safe and well!